Thursday, June 21, 2007

Comments on some Stories in Canterbury Tales

The Clerk’s Tale

I greatly enjoyed this tale. It was a little suspenseful. I was always wondering what Walter was going to do next and how this tale was going to end. When he first tested Griselda, I was not sure what he would do with the baby. Once he decided to save his children, I wondered if Griselda would ever see them again.
Part of me wanted to hit Walter on the head and strangle him when he tested her, but another part of me encouraged the tests. When he told her he was going to have another wife, I thought he had gone too far, but when I figured things out I thought it was brilliant.

This tale also reminded me of a few Bible stories like when God told Abraham to sacrifice his son and he was obedient to God. However, just when he was about to do it, an angel stopped him and commended him for his obedience to God.
It also reminded me of how God daily tests us, but is always there for us, and in the end, there is a greater reward for our loyalty to him than anyone can imagine.
I think that anyone can learn from this tale about trusting in God. It also teaches us to have patience no matter what.

The Franklin’s Tale

I really liked this tale. It was clean and short. There was not much to it. It was just simple, nothing more. It is a romance about two men who love the same woman. One is a knight, her husband, the other a squire, who loves her but cannot have his love returned. It is a classic affair. The theme was not exactly there, except honor. I liked its simplicity, and how everything came out right in the end. I am glad that the woman wanted to honor her husband, but had a promise to honor as well. I was not sure what was going to happen next, although it was not exactly suspenseful. I was surprised when her husband made her honor her promise to the squire. Her lamenting and sorrow was good reading the way it was written. I love that kind of poetry. I especially enjoyed when she went off listing so many examples of women who died to keep their honor or virginity. The short part about Portia, Brutus’ wife, was the most familiar from when I read Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar.” Then, when the squire did the right thing and let her go of her promise without touching her, I just wanted to jump for joy. The good side won. When the magician cancelled the squire’s debts, I was happy, too, because it brought a good, happy conclusion to the tale.

The Knight’s Tale

I greatly enjoyed this tale. It reminded me of the way Greek Tragedies are written. The story is very entrancing. Something about such times, stories, and characters has always attracted me. From the very beginning, Duke Theseus’ story made me wonder where this tale was going to end up. When Palamon and Arcita were introduced, I thought they would have little significance in the plot. As it turned out, they were the center of the plot in a feud over love of the fair Emily. I was surprised that medieval tales such as this would include gods like Mars and Venus. When Chaucer described the temples, I wanted to skip it and get on with the story. The gods fighting over who would get the girl seemed useless. I wanted to know who would get the girl! I love a good romance story, and found myself rooting for Palamon’s side. Although Arcita won the battle, Palamon did end up with Emily as his wife. I was disappointed when Arcita died, but it was necessary for the end to come the way it did. After all the mourning of Arcita’s death, Theseus declared the marriage between Emily and Palamon. So ended the Knight’s Tale. I was never sure what was going to happen next. I love stories like this. I did, however, find myself wanting Emily to have her way as well and not have to marry either of them. However, that would take the point away from the story and then there would be no story. I like the story as it is. It would have to continue with more to tell what becomes of Palamon as he has a broken heart. I think what I enjoyed was the story as a whole. There was not one part when I was bored.

The Man of Law’s Tale

This tale of Constance, was the second tale in this book that has kept me reading nonstop. Any love story in which the “good guy” triumphs is a good story in my mind. However, this was not what kept my attention and love for this tale constant. What I liked about this tale was its Christian side. Constance was a Christian and wherever she went, God not only kept her safe, but He used her to bring others to Him. I love the following passage, which describes the entire reason why I liked this tale so much.

“It might be questioned why she was not slain? Who at that banquet could protect or save? To that demand I answer back again who succored Daniel in the horrible cave when everyone but he, master and slave, fell to the lions and was torn apart? No one but God, whom Daniel bore in heart. God, to proclaim the wonders of His arm by miracle through her, would have it so, and Christ who is the honey to all harm has chosen instruments, as well we know, to work his purposes that darkly show to human ignorance; our feeble sense grasps not the prudence of his providence. And if not murdered at the feast, what law kept Constance then from drowning in the sea? And who kept Jonah in the fish’s maw till he was spouted up at Nineveh? It was none other, certainly, than He who kept the Hebrew folk from being drowned, crossing the sea dry-footed, safe and sound. And who commanded the tempestuous mouth of the four winds that trouble ocean, land, or tree? There is no such commander if not He that walked the water; He it was who kept this woman safe, awake or when she slept. Where, then for some three years upon the wave, got she her food and drink? And who suffered to Mary the Egyptian in a cave and fed her there? Certainly none but Christ. Five loaves and two small fishes overpriced the needs of the five thousand; so indeed God’s foison came to Constance in her need.”

This passage reminds me of Hebrews 11 in that it is a list of times God was faithful. I just think that this sort of passage is encouraging and reminds us that God does provide for us daily.

The Monk’s Tale

I have always enjoyed classic tragedy stories, so this tale was interesting to read. It was easy reading because it was a collection of short tales, so it was more similar to reading a bunch of short poems. It was nice that they were all historical tales and that I had heard of some of them before. The ones from the Bible about Lucifer, Adam, and Samson were good reading. For some reason my favorites were Zenobia, about the powerful huntress queen who fell after her husbands death, and Count Ugolino of Pisa. Count Ugolino of Pisa was a very sad story. I tend to like sad stories because they seem more realistic. They touch my heart and make me ask what else the story could involve. The count watches his children starve to death on his lap and then dies himself, all because “Bishop Ruggieri had framed lies against them.” I also enjoyed comparing the tale of Julius Caesar to Shakespeare’s classic. I hated when the knight brought an abrupt end to the monk’s tales. I enjoyed them. I had heard little of Hercules other than from the movies, so that tale of how he fell to a woman was informative and different/unexpected, as were many of these tales. I wish Chaucer had written more of them. The tales were very enlightening and interesting. Reminders of the past, such as memories and history, are always capturing.

The Nun’s Priest’s Tale

At first, I was confused as to who the characters were and who was talking. However, once I got further into the story I understood everything and quite enjoyed the tale.

I have always wondered about the meaning of dreams. I have had some strange ones myself. So, when I realized that this tale was about dreams and predestination, I got very interested.

My favorite part of this tale was when Chanticleer gave examples of dreams coming true. The entire time I was thinking of Joseph in the Bible, so I was glad when he used that example.

It was very different and hard to imagine because the characters were talking animals. Anthropomorphization is something I have always liked, but I have not seen it very often in the books I have read.

In the end, the message was not about dreams, but more about flattery and being fooled easily by it, such as Chanticleer. Luckily, the fox was not so cunning himself and fell to flattery as well, allowing his prey to escape.

It was a “merry tale of Chanticleer.” I just wish they had told more of what happened after he escaped and what happened to the widow and her two daughters.

Overall, I think it was one of my favorite tales so far.

The Pardoner’s Tale

I did not like the Pardoner at all. He elaborated in order to make himself look good and used his tale to get business, although, in the end, no one was won over. It annoyed me when he asked everyone to use him as their pardoner for money/a fee. He made himself out to be almost like a god by acting as if he was above everyone. Therefore, I was relieved when the host refused. Only God can forgive sins.

I enjoyed the tale by itself. I kept wondering if death was an actual person or symbol.

The three brothers’ quest started as noble, but ended selfishly as they allowed evil, and want for a greater good for themselves, to overpower them. The gold was the symbol of death, or at least led to their deaths.

This tale had my interest, but the entire time I was just waiting for it to end so I could go onto a new and better tale.

The tale was short. The rest was the Pardoner trying to sell his point/business. I did not think he was doing the tale for cheer and entertainment, but for himself and his welfare, as if he were a salesman pitching his product.

The Second Nun’s Tale

I fairly enjoyed this tale. It always amazes me what people will do for their faith. The story of Cecilia and how she worked in peoples’ lives, leading up to her own martyrdom, amazed me. The only thing I did not like about this tale was that she was named as a saint, which is a Catholic term that I do not like to use. I admire people for what they do, but I do not turn them into gods/saints for it. They are merely examples to live by and encouragement for when we go through our own trials. The way her husband and his brother brought so many to Christ and ended up dieing in martyrdom as well was a good twist to the plot. Things like this in a tale always make me want to get more into God’s word and show His love to others as well as stand up for what I believe in and firmly know what I believe in. The way God protected her in the fire reminded me of the story in the Bible where three men were thrown into the furnace for not bowing down to a false god. Then a fourth man appeared, Jesus, and the three were protected from harm. It is sad that after that, she would be murdered and still die, but she died proclaiming her faith. A tale like this is so sad, yet so moving, which is why I enjoyed it so much.

The Squire’s Tale

I was just starting to really like this tale when the Franklin ended it.
I love stories with magic and mystery to them. Therefore, when the Knight first offered the gifts I was entranced and wondered what would happen next.
The mirror makes me think of the evil stepmother in Snow White. I wanted to know if its powers would turn out for the good or for the bad.

The ring and bronze horse reminded me of when the Beast, in Beauty and the Beast (French Version), gives Belle a ring to transport her to and from the castle.
The power of the ring reminded me of the goldfish in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy that, when put in your ear, makes it so that you can understand any language. I must admit, however, that during the part of the tale when the princess is talking to an animal, I was rather bored.

The conversation between the princess and the Falcon seems pointless; it was so short and boring. Its ending was abrupt.

I liked where this was going, but because it stops in the middle, I am forced to dislike it and consider it a not-so-good tale that is not one of my favorites.

The Wife of Bath’s Tale

The prologue was long and opinionated. The Wife of Bath seemed to discard the Bible, most of the time, and go on her own beliefs. It was interesting, but I did not agree with everything she said. My opinion on such things is so-so. It is wrong for a man to cheat on his wife; I suppose that is why she said that she made his life purgatory. Still, it does not seem right to judge. She fooled around a little too, so who is she to punish?

I do not know what my opinion is on remarriage. She had five husbands, but she did not remarry until each had died. Regarding her fifth husband, I believe that violence is wrong. However, I also believe that the man is the head of the household. Her husband should have kept his hold over her without violence. He should have set a better example. I was glad to know that she loved him. The other four she had married for money. Still, she believed that women are superior or equal to men and wanted worldly happiness.

Women have been fighting for their rights for years. They deserve those rights, but, there are things they are not meant to do, such as pastoring a church.
My desire is not to have sovereignty over my future husband, but to have a husband who will be above me, and who will lead my family in acting in a Christ-like way.

I enjoyed the tale itself. It reminds me of how God sacrificed His son for us and wants something in return, our love. When we give ourselves to Him, something better awaits us.

No comments:

Daily Bible Verse

All Blog Content Copyright © 2007 Harmonious Glow Writings

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape