Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Telephone - Play version of the Opera

The Telephone
Based on the Opera The Telephone by Menotti

(When scene opens, Lucy is sitting on a couch, next to a coffee table with a telephone on it, talking on the telephone)

Lucy: Oh, I know Sissy! I know! No kidding! No… no… wow! (Doorbell rings) Just a second, Sissy. (She puts the phone down, walks to the door, opens it, and walks back. She does not notice Ben, who is on his knees, holding up a ring to propose. He has a suitcase next to him. She, now sitting, continues to talk on the phone. He gets up and walks over to her with his suitcase and gets in the position again.) No…No! You’re joking! (She turns just as he gets in the position again. He gets up and goes to her.)
Ben: (In loving way) Hello Sunshine!
Lucy: Well, Goodbye Sissy. (She hangs up)
Ben: Lucy, I have something to tell you. I’m leaving. My train leaves in an hour.
Lucy: Oh, I'm so sorry!
Ben: But before I leave, I would like to ask you a question.
Lucy: Yes dear?
Ben: You know how much I've always liked you.
Lucy: Yes, dear?
Ben: Well, then, I was just wondering, that is, of course, after I come back, if you would consider...
Lucy: What, dear?
Ben: I don't quite know how to say this. (telephone rings).
Lucy: Just a moment, dear. (She picks up the phone.) Hello! Oh, Margaret, it's you. I am so glad you called, I was just thinking about you. It's been a long time. Who? I? I can’t come tonight. No, my dear, I'm not feeling very well. When? Where? I wish I could be there! I'm afraid I must not. What did you say. What did you say? Hello? Hello? Please speak louder! Oh! I heard the funniest thing! Paula and Steve are going to get married next July. I know! of course… and how are you? And how is John? And how is Jean? You must tell them that I send them my love. And how is Ursula, and how is Natalie, and how is Rosalie? I hope she's gotten over her cold. And how is your mother, and how is your father, and how is dear little granny? Ha, ha! Ha, ha ! Ha, ha! Ha, ha! Oh, dear! Well then, goodbye. Goodbye, my dear, goodbye. I am so glad you called, I was just thinking of you. It's been a long time since you called me. Yes, you already told me that. No, my darling, of course I won't forget! Yes, yes, goodbye, my dear... Yes! Ha, ha! Ha, ha! That's the funniest thing I ever heard. Oh, I'm so glad! Goodbye! Yes, Margaret. Alright, alright, goodbye! Alright, goodbye! So long (hangs up). That was Margaret.
Ben: Oh.
Lucy: Yes, she tells me all the news.
Ben: Interesting. Now I do have something I want to…. (phone rings)
Lucy: (Picks phone up) Hello. What? What? Oh. (turns to Ben) Wrong Number. Why must they always pick on me when they get the wrong number?
Ben: Why, indeed. But please listen to me? The time is getting shorter.
Lucy: Would you like to know the exact time? Just wait (dials, listens for a bit, hangs up). It is 4:15 and three and a half seconds.
Ben: Thank you. But now, please, will you listen to me?
Lucy: Of course, what else have I done? Go on then.
Ben: Well, as I was saying, you know how much I've always loved you. So, I was just wondering, that is, of course, after I come back, if you would consider (telephone rings). Oh, I'll go insane.
Lucy: Hello? Hello? Why George, it's you! But why must you scream at me so! What do you mean! Who ever told it to you? I never said that about you! If you don't believe me you can call up Phyllis! How dare you say such a thing! Stop using such language! No, yes, no, no, I mean. I swear it isn't true! How
can you believe that I'd say such a thing? Now listen to me! I'm not going to stand it if you call me names! Hello? Hello? (hangs up) Murder!
Ben: Now, Lucy, don’t cry, I’m here for you.
Lucy: You don’t understand. I’m gonna go get a handkerchief. (exits)
Ben: How do I make her understand! (He gets an evil look in his eyes. He notices a pair of scissors, arms himself and approaches the phone. It rings wildly).
Lucy: (rushing in and grabbing phone) You wicked man! What were you doing to it? The poor thing! Shame on you! Put them down! (He bends over and unplugs the phone while it is still ringing) Ben! (She pulls out her cell phone) Now I am going to call Pamela. I must tell her of my quarrel with George.
Ben: Must you!
Lucy: Yes. It will take me just a minute.
Ben: But I have no time to lose.
Lucy: I will make it very short.
Ben: Oh alright, but please hurry!
Lucy: (She calls Pamela on her cell phone) Hello, this is Lucy. I just had a quarrel with George... over the telephone. Shall I tell you all about it? It all began on a Sunday, when Jean and I went skating. We got on the trolley and met Meg and Molly, so we sat down next to them. I've known both Meg and Molly for years, and thought they were my friends. But what they have done to me now I'll never, never forget. They started asking if I had seen George, and now I know why. I said I had seen him once; that's all they wanted to know, so one thing led to another, and while we gabbed about George I told them what you told me you had heard about him and Joe. Yes, I told them what you told me you had heard about him and Joe. I know I was a fool, but now it is too late. They told him what I told them you had told me.
Ben: Lucy. (she gives him a stern look) I’m getting on my knees Lucy.
Lucy: Oh, don’t do that, you’ll get the floor dirty. (The other phone rings) Will you get that Ben?
Ben: (Picks phone up) Hello. Who is this. John? Her boyfriend! You’re joking! Don’t joke around me! (Throws phone to hang up and does this repeatedly until it finally is placed the right way.) (To audience) She only stops to start again. If I stay I’ll go mad! There's only one thing left, there's only one thing left. (exits)
Lucy: (In the background if needed) Of course, I said, Oh, George, my darling, how can you believe that I'd say such a thing, you know that in me you have a true friend. But he wouldn't believe me, and curse me up and down, and kept calling me names, yes, all sorts of names. And then I said, Oh, George, my darling, if you don't believe me you can call up Phyllis and ask her to tell you whether or not it is true. Of course I had to lie, what else was I to do? But oh, you'll never know how much I went through. Oh, you'll never know how much I went through. I thought I would die. Ah! I am so glad that you understand. And now, let's say goodbye. (Once Ben has left) I want to think it over, if anything else should happen today I promise to call you again. Goodbye. (Realizing Ben is gone) Oh, where has he gone? He left me alone with my telephone. I wonder what he wanted to tell me. I have a feeling he had something on his mind. Will he come back? By now he must be on the train. I don't know why I feel depressed! (The phone rings) Hello?
Ben: Hello!
Lucy: Ben! Where are you! Did you miss your train?
Ben: Not yet.
Lucy: But why did you leave me, and what was the thing you so wanted to tell me?
Ben: I might as well come out with it. I’ve been trying for so long. Will you marry me?
Lucy: Yes! Oh Ben! Of course I will marry you. You know that I love you.
Ben: Oh blessed day!
Lucy: So why did you wait so long to ask me what you already knew?
Ben: I must go now.
Lucy: Oh, not just yet.
Ben: I'll miss my train.
Lucy: No, no, you still have time.
Ben: Will you wait for me?
Lucy: Oh Ben, of course I will wait, but please don't be long.
Ben: As long as you have a phone you'll never be alone.
Lucy: I'll wait by the phone, but darling, don't be long. And while you're away...
Ben: Yes?
Lucy: Don't forget...
Ben: Your eyes?
Lucy: No.
Ben: Your hands?
Lucy: ...No.
Ben: Your lips?
Lucy: No...
Ben: What then?
Lucy: My number!

No comments:

Daily Bible Verse

All Blog Content Copyright © 2007 Harmonious Glow Writings

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape