Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Pride and Predjudice - Proposal to Charlotte

Dear Miss Charlotte Lucas,

I would like to begin this letter with my deepest appreciation for the kindness you and your family showed me after a seemingly unfortunate event that caused sadness among more than one person. If I were to tell her ladyship, Lady Catherine De Bourgh, of how well I was treated, I am sure she would immediately be inclined to approve of you. Furthermore, I am obliged to say that you fit all the characteristics that she has decided upon as good qualities for a wife.
After the known events of a recent past, I am sure you must be questioning my motives as to be bringing the subject of marriage up at a time such as this. I shall make known to you the same simple facts I made known to my fair cousin Elizabeth. I do call her fair, but, that is, no one could convince me of anyone being any fairer than you, Miss Lucas.
I have several reasons for marrying. I wish to set an example for matrimony in the church. I also believe that marriage can only add to my happiness, and so I have every wish to gain such a partner in my life who might make me the most joyful of men. Last, but not least, it is the advice of the noble lady whom I have the honor to call my patroness, Lady Catherine De Bourgh, that I should marry soon.
Her ladyship wished me to choose a gentlewoman, one who is active and able to make a small income go a long way. I have no doubt of your match with these qualities and believe strongly that her ladyship will not be displeased with you. Nor, have I any doubt on such a matter that you would be any less pleased with her. For her ladyship is of a most kind and worthy nature.
Considering all these things, I wish to make my offer plain and simple. Will you, Charlotte Lucas, make me the happiest of men and consent to being my wife.
I know these offers may come as a shock to you and might have been much more within your comfort if they had been offered in person. You must forgive me. I would make my intentions known in a more lively way if I could, but I have been detained and am unable to speak to you myself. If you are not satisfied, I shall come at once and recite everything I have said in this letter and much more. You have led me to believe that you care for me as much as I do for you. If you accept my terms, I am sure that I will be the happiest of men, and you will be the happiest and most content of women.
Your family can have no objections to the match. There are no unpleasant results for their side of the marriage. I shall apply to them at once for their consent, as soon as I have gained your own. Say nothing of these prospects, but hasten quickly to answer my proposal.
You must be sensible enough to realize how much we were made for each other. I am convinced that you are as sensible as a lady ought to be, and that you will make a most wonderful companion for myself, not to mention a good friend and acquaintance for her ladyship. I have written to her of the prospect of our marriage and told her all about you. I would not be surprised if she invited us over for dinner at Rosing Park before the desirable event even takes place.
Know that I place all my affections in your hands and offer you a most amiable future life. I am anxious for your reply, and hope it will be in better spirits that those of my cousin’s.
I am yours, faithfully,

Mr. Collins

No comments:

Daily Bible Verse

All Blog Content Copyright © 2007 Harmonious Glow Writings

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape