Friday, June 22, 2007

A Mother Daughter Thing

Her brow sweat, it was the last inning and Miranda was tied with her opponent in their game of baseball. The score was 19 to 19, there was an easy chance of winning for her, she was up to bat and all she had to do was hit the ball far enough that it would give her time to run all four bases and make her final, triumphant score.

Miranda pulled back her thick, brown hair into a scrungy while stepping up to base. Picking up the bat she leaned forward into position, ready for anything. The Pitcher through the ball, it came at her like a giant tornado, spinning constantly. In a moment the ball was there for her to hit. She swung at it with all the might that she had left in her. The small crowd was silent as the girl hit the ball right across the street.

Miranda's mom ran after it but was too late. When she returned to the front yard her daughter had already reached home, making it a home run!

"Great game honey, I really thought we were gonna win, but you proved me wrong." Rick, Miranda's father congratulated her on her victory.

"It was tough, but I got through it. I wouldn't have if you hadn't showed me the correct position for batting, but if you really want to give me all the credit for my win then go right ahead." She replied.

"No that's aright, go ahead and give me some credit."

"Well, you see I would if it weren't for the fact that you already gave me all the glory"

"Oh, Really."

"Yes, you see I won and you didn't so you're just jealous that you weren't on the winning team."

"Of course, I guess I'll just have to join your team next time playing against you poor mother..."

"Yep."

"And not to mention that you would share half of your credit with me."

"No, that's O.K."

"Excuse me…" Melody, Miranda's mother, interrupted, "But how about we stop joking about your poor mother and come inside for a victory dinner."

"Food!" They both yelled and ran off into the house.

"What about my little old kiss…" Melody mentioned "And who's going to pick up this mess? Not me, no dinner till the mess is cleaned up."

" You'll still help won't you?" Miranda asked.

"Dinner won't fix itself, I think the corn is getting cold." Her mother replied.

" I'll bring something in, but you brought the stuff out and forced us to play so you put it away." Rick told her as he picked up the baseball bat and ball.

" But I'm spoiled." They all laughed at Miranda's comment and walked inside for dinner.

Inside Miranda put away the sport equipment while her mom put their food into separated bowls and on different plates for them to eat.

"Be sure to wash your hands." Her father reminded the family, as he usually did.

Miranda's family wasn't exactly normal but had a special relationship that kept them going. They had a schedule that was loose but kept well. Every day Miranda went to school and her parents off to work. Her dad woke up early every morning around 3:00 to get ready for work and catch a vanpool to where he worked in San Francisco and her mom worked at the church next to her school in the Music Department. After school she would meet her mom in her office at the church and from there Melody would take her daughter home. Her dad would get back in town around 4 in the afternoon and then would normally head to the gym. They had a family membership there and so Miranda would go every once in a while. Her dad would get home around 7:30 and then they would have dinner which was basically getting your food and watching t.v or going on the computer while eating. Then after doing whatever they felt like they would go to bed.

Miranda's favorite time of the day was in the car on the way to school or on the way home. Her mother and she would always talk about what was going on in their lives at this time or whatever was recent in the news. But most of all it was the love of her mother that she enjoyed. Miranda's best friend was her mother, the first person she ever looked to for help, the loving mother that was always there for her. There was a love that existed between them that they knew could never fade away, and that was her reason for being with her mother all the time.

Earlier she had gone shopping for groceries with her mom. They needed food for dinner and it was Saturday, Melody had to buy some snacks for the choir at church. Miranda remembered it perfectly, for it was just that afternoon.

They had walked around the nearest Save Mart and gotten all of what they needed. As they stood in line Melody put her scarf on because it was cold outside. She flipped her light brown hair with small gray streaks back and gave a last thought to whether she had everything she needed or not. As she looked around she saw the Woman's Day magazine in a nearby rack. Melody quickly grabbed it and then moved forward in line.

When they got home they brought their groceries in and Melody laid her magazine on the counter.

"What magazine is that mom?" Miranda asked.

"Women's Day honey, you can look at it if you want. There are some good diet ideas in there, why don't you give it a look." Melody finished as she walked out the door to go unload more groceries.

Miranda picked the magazine up and walked into the living room where she plopped herself down on the couch and turned the TV on. As she looked through the magazine she noticed a small article that seemed worth reading. It read: My daughter and I didn't connect with each other very well for a long time. One day I came up with an idea that I hoped would improve our relationship and help us along as a family. I picked out a special journal book that had a nice cover and back on it along with a lock. The next morning I laid it on her pillow with a note asking her to respond to what I had written inside and also to write down a few of her own concerns or problems. I told her that this is one I can bond with her in our spare time. That night, when I went to bed there it was on my pillow with a note of X's and O's attached to it. Inside she had written out her feeling and given me something to think about. We are now bonding with each other more and progressing towards spending more time together.

Miranda had read the small article many times that day before and after playing baseball with her family. Miranda had many thoughts cooped up in her mind that she wanted to tell her parents about, including how she felt about her relationship with her mom and dad, she knew this might be a way to help them along.

After eating she read the article again and considered showing it to her mother, but was afraid of what she might reveal if they decide to do it. Finally she set the magazine down and went to get ready for bed.

"So, are there any good diets in there for us?" Melody asked her daughter while Miranda passed her.

"Mom, you know I don't like talking about my weight. Besides, I didn't finish looking through it, I was mainly looking at the pictures." Miranda replied, raising her voice while she said it.

"Goodness me, it wasn't a very long magazine, and you were reading it all day. And please don't raise your voice at me." Melody calmly mentioned.

"Does it really matter?" Miranda yelled.

"Of course our weight matters, Miranda, you know that. That is what is holding us back from doing more active things."

"Stop It!" She screamed and then ran to her room where she jumped onto her bed, looked out her window, and cried.

"You know you really should learn how to choose your fights." Melody said gently as she opened the door to Miranda's room.

"I'm sorry momma, it's just that…well…I want to try but…" She stuttered.

"Shh Shh, you need to rest, lay down your head." Melody motioned for her daughter to lay her head on Melody's lap.

"Mom?" Miranda softly murmured.

"Yes."

"Can I show you something?"

"Yes, anything." Melody replied.

Miranda slowly got up and showed her mother to where she had put the magazine down earlier.

"You can read it now." She said as she opened it up to the page that had the small article that she had read so many times on it. "Read it." She told Melody.

Melody quickly read it and gave Miranda a big hug full of love.

"Can we do it?" Miranda asked.

"It is a great idea honey."

"When can we start it?" Miranda said with excitement.

"Well we can't do it until we get a journal to write in, and that will be a few days."

"Why the wait, can't we start now?" Miranda had a disappointed tone. "You don't seem very enthusiastic about it."

"I'm sorry, but right now it is time for bed, no matter how early it is, you need rest."

"Mom, I'm hungry." Miranda quietly said.

"Your fit must be over then. That is what I always say when I am done crying." They both laughed. "Very well then, I'll fix you a sandwich. Then off to bed with you."

The day was over for them and even though Melody was not too excited about the journal she knew somehow that some good would come of it, and so did Miranda.

No comments:

Daily Bible Verse

All Blog Content Copyright © 2007 Harmonious Glow Writings

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape