Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Pride and Predjudice - Charlotte Lucas' Reply

Dear Mr. Collins,
I must tell you how surprised I was at first receiving a letter from you. When first handed to me, your letter could only make me assume it contained certain thanks for a kind acquaintance and a wish to keep in touch. I felt honored that you would recognize myself, and my family, in such a way.
Imagine my surprise when I began to read your letter. Immediately you made your intentions clear to me. Words cannot express how delighted I was to hear that you feel exactly the same towards me as I do towards you. I have been secretly thinking of you ever since I found of Elizabeth’s refusal of your offers.
Throughout my short experience with you, I have found you to be a man of great kindness, filled with every trait a noble man ought to. When I heard of Lady Catherine De Bourgh’s relation as your patroness, my interest only rose.
In short, I realize the advantages of a match between our families. Your letter has only furthered my admiration for you. I thank you for the compliments you have paid me in your letter. I believe I could make you happy, and you could make me happy. You, too, are honorable and charming.
I would be honored to take on the role of Mrs. Collins, doing my best to give you all the happiness and joy in the world. Your inheritance is of a pleasant nature, and I would love to spend the rest of my days with you, wherever that may take us.
I do, therefore, take this opportunity to say that I would be privileged to join with you and become one of the most handsome pairs in all of England. I know my parents shall have no objection to it. Let us set the date and bring this fortunate union between us as soon as possible.
I shall soon call you my Mr. Collins with all my heart.
With all my heart,
Charlotte Lucas

No comments:

Daily Bible Verse

All Blog Content Copyright © 2007 Harmonious Glow Writings

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape