Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Biggest Pet Peeve

Boom! I was halfway through my homework, I had not procrastinated, and things were going well. Then, a booming noise came from outside. The neighbors had their music up again. I started to get a headache; I could not concentrate. As a result, it took me twice as long to do my homework as usual. I hate it when people turn their music up too loud! No matter what your music may be, or how much you may like it, you should always be more considerate of those around you by keeping the volume down. I always try to be considerate of others and I hope that others will be just as considerate around me. In taking the time to learn a little bit about my pet peeve, when people turn their music up too loud, we can see what it means to be more considerate of others and what “keeping the volume down” can prevent.
One pet peeve that many people have is being interrupted. People hate it when others interrupt them when they are talking, just like I hate it when someone’s music interrupts mine, or what I am doing. Sometimes I am trying to sleep; other times I am trying to so homework or listen to my own music. No matter where I am doing these things, there is always a possibility of someone having their music up loud. Suppose I am out driving. I have the radio on or am listening to my favorite CD; then someone else who is listening to their music turns onto the road. They have their music up so loud that you can feel the vibrations. Now, let my music represent one person talking, and the loud music coming from the other car represent another person. The other person comes along and, without considering what the person talking is saying or discussing, immediately interrupts that conversation. Do you get my point? Music or speaking, it is all the same.
Sometimes you will get mad at someone when they interrupt you and start arguing. This is the case many times with “the volume of music” as well. If your music is turned up loud, someone may ask you to turn it down. Whether they ask politely or not depends on the person. Even if they want to argue, you should try to avoid fighting. My neighbor, Mr. Whitehead, tried to ask another neighbor to turn their music down once. They would not turn their music down. He called the police on them. The police came. Unfortunately, the neighbors still did not want to be polite or considerate. They told the police Mr. Whitehead had physically harassed them. He barely got out of that one, even though he had never harassed them in any way. You never know what the reactions of someone will be on either side of the argument. If you think there are ways for someone to ignore your music, you are not entirely right, depending on how loud your music is. When I was doing my homework at my house, heard my neighbor’s music, my windows were all closed and trying to ignore the music made it harder to concentrate. It is hard for me to concentrate on my homework when there is constant booming noise from the neighbor’s music giving me a headache. Especially when all I can hear is the beat and cannot get the full effect of the music. Closing the windows will not always tune the other person’s music out; neither will ignoring it. Going back to when I am trying to listen to my own music. Take two completely different songs and play them both at the same time. It will be hard to listen to both at the same time and get the fill affect you would get in just listen to just one of the songs. Playing them at the same time would be chaos in most situations. I feel like I am in utter chaos when I am forced to turn my own music up really loud to listen to it, which has the ability to break my eardrums, or when I try to listen to just my music even though the other person’s music is overbearing mine. Another example is when I try to rest or sleep, and suddenly there is a loud booming noise coming from outside; it is not exactly relaxing and ends up keeping me awake.
If people were more considerate, I would not have to worry so much about this pet peeve. I understand that we all have our preferences when it come to music, and that in most peoples’ opinions, the worst music will always be the other person’s music, but that is why we all are unique and why we should be more considerate of others. If you really like rock-n-roll, and think classical music is the most boring, worst music ever, I doubt you would like it if I turned up my classical music really loud and forced you to listen to it. Put yourself in the situation, both my position and the position of the person who has their music up loud. Can you imagine being in the situation of being accused of harassment or of being the one who just wants to enjoy their music and decides to turn it up louder than usual. That is why it is important to be more considerate. If I ask someone to turn their music down, I am going to be polite about it and am not going to argue if they say no. If I was on the other side, and was asked tot urn my music down, I would do so to avoid a fight and just to do the considerate thing. Turning the music down does not mean turning your music off. Of course, if you do not turn your music up too loud before hand, you will not have to deal with anyone later on.
People will not always agree on things, especially music. Still, it does not hurt to be more considerate every once in a while. By being more considerate, you can help another without knowing it. Turning your music down won’t hurt you, but turning it up and arguing about it could. Therefore, things could be good for both sides if people were just a little more considerate. Interruptions and Pet Peeves in general would be less annoying if we would just think about what we are doing and be more considerate. If my neighbor had not turned his music up loud that day, I would not have gotten a headache, and I would have gotten my homework done a lot sooner.

No comments:

Daily Bible Verse

All Blog Content Copyright © 2007 Harmonious Glow Writings

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape