Saturday, June 30, 2007

Book Review of California Driver's Handbook

If there is any person qualified to write a book review of the California Driver’s Handbook, it’s me. No, I do not work for the DMV, and no, I am not a perfectionist driver. In truth, I am very afraid of driving. While still on my first permit, I got in an accident. With my driver instructor, my sandal got caught on the pedal and I pushed the gas pedal instead of the break. This caused me to get into a minor bumper accident, no damage. I cried when I got home. Needless to say time came and went and I did not go for my license. My permit expired. Since then I have taken the permit test two more times and gotten better at passing each time. I always passed, but each time the number of missed questions lessened. I actually was scheduled to take my permit test earlier this month for the third time, but my mom lost my passport. A weeks worth of reading was wasted. Luckily, this time I highlighted the important parts and when my mom found my passport a month later I only had to skip read the highlighted parts. Two days ago, on June 28th, 2007, I took the test and only missed two questions. My picture would have turned out good if my double chin had not shown up. It has a way of coming out like that. I hate being fat, I hope to lose weight. Nevertheless, I will not let my bad health drag me down. I did dream once that my double chin saved me from a man who tried to slit my throat. The knife did not go deep enough to kill me, although I did lose some blood. It’s a real dream I had. Anyway, back to the driving thing. As already stated, I hate driving. I’m always afraid I’ll do something wrong. I remember my first experience with driver’s rage. I pulled over to let people pass, but when I tried to pull back into the lane a driver got mad at me and followed me to my turnoff where he proceed to honk at me and flip me off. I eventually got over my fear and got back on the road, but then college came. When you live in NYC you don’t drive much. Thus, it has been over a year since I last drove and my old fears have returned this summer. Since I am attending a different college this fall, I will need to drive and I will need a car. Needless to say, I have so far avoided all my parents attempts to get me on the road, but I really do need to try. Maybe I should go back to that handbook for some help, but don’t expect a book review of it. I already hate it enough, I doubt I would be able to keep from becoming overly judgmental and bias.

1 comment:

Lonnie said...

Driving? Hey, no problem! You're experiencing the same misgivings and fears of all new drivers. Experience in driving will build confidence in driving. My three fail-proof driving tips (yes, I consider myself near expert!): 1) Get to know your car. When you are aware of what your car's acceleration and braking abilities are, you will be more comfortable in your car, thus safer. 2) Always drive a little over the speed limit (once you become more experienced, that is). Nothing makes a driver more passive and unaware of the road than one who goes the speed limit at all times. 3) Be aware of the cars 2-3 places ahead of you in traffic. Reacting only to the car directly in front of you means bad news quickly.

Best of luck. You'll lick this, I'm sure.

Feel free to check out my summer blog, too: lonniestoltzfoos.blogspot.com

Daily Bible Verse

All Blog Content Copyright © 2007 Harmonious Glow Writings

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape